To come home one day with groceries and all of a sudden realize that you could use a larger refrigerator! Oops! Buying too many groceries isn't usually a problem around here... The kids are growing and they eat their fair amount. By this time of year though I usually have some baking done and my menu planned. This year I may be a little behind, but it is no different. I have a refrigerator full of fresh food ready to be prepared as Christmas goodies. I have a pantry with all of the necessary ingredients to make spice cakes, sugar cookies and all kinds of sweets and treats.
I usually only get the basic, local vegetables and inexpensive cuts of meat, milk - lots of milk - and cheese, cereal and snack stuff. Christmas is the time of year where I get those more "exotic" ingredients - odd spices, foreign fruits, quality chocolates... Over and beyond the regular food that I usually get.
Once a year, I come home with all of the ingredients that I need to make a special Christmas for the children and I think that at this time of year I should probably look into renting a second refrigerator. I say that now though, when friends and family are often at the door, when we bring sweets to Christmas parties and for teachers, when we are at our culinary busiest. In all too few and very short weeks, we'll have returned to our regularly scheduled menues.
So while my fridge is well stuffed I will enjoy it. I will Thank God for all of His goodness, I will Praise Him for the provenance of care He gives to His creation. I will share this great bounty with those who are hungry that find their way to my home, I will share the blessing of the season with anyone who needs an extra special blessing.
Now I'm off to wrap gifts and prepare the other little extras that make Christmas special for the children.
"Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night"!! :D