And mom's a' cookin'. We're sitting in the middle of our third winter storm this season... except it's still fall and we've hardly had a day without snow in the last 2 weeks. We also have a very cold air mass sitting right on top of us making it so cold that we haven't reached anything higher than -15C all week.
So I've been cooking up a storm. Well, I've been cooking stews and breads and doing as much as I can to help keep the house warm. Tonight to make something different, I roasted breaded chicken thights with some potatoes and served up some steamed swiss chard along with some sliced tomatoes. It all disappeared as soon as the plates reached the table. :D
Everything was simple enough to throw together. The chicken was simply breaded with breadcrumbs to which I had added some salt, pepper and italian seasoning. The potatoes where baked along with the chicken in a hot oven for about 1 hour. In the last 10 minutes, I got the swiss chard leaves prepared, washed and steamed. Tossed the swiss chard with a bit of butter, salt and pepper to taste. I sliced 3 vine ripened tomatoes and sprinkled a bit of kosher salt and just a few drops of balsamic vinegar over the slices.
The silence that surounded the supper table tonight was only broken by the utensils striking the plates. That is a satisfying sound to this chef. :D