When the kids come home from school and raid your pantry to give at school for the local food bank. When the boxes stand at the end of the check out at the grocery store, asking to be filled with non perishable items. When, depending where you live, there will be volunteers who come knocking on your door asking for food or monetary donations in support of the Christmas boxes given to those in need.
From experience, I can say that the families that receive your donations are grateful. It puts food on the table, and the children do not go to bed hungry tonight. If I may, I'd like to make some recommendations for donations.
Canned tomatoes and tomato juice rather than tomato soup. Much more versatile and more nutritionally sound, they are generally kept for those who are sickly, or who may have special dietary requirements. If you ever step into a food bank, you may well find a wall full of tomato soup, yet only a shelf or two of tomato juice and canned tomatoes.
Salt and pepper, herbs and spices. Can you imagine eating pasta cooked in unsalted water? Can you imagine the only seasoning you have on hand are the extra flavourings from Ramen noodles? Can you imagine meal after meal, unseasoned and bland?
Think of the families who have infants and could need diapers - of all sizes. Think of those families who canot go to the dentist, and may need a tooth brush. Imagine yourself, all of a sudden in need of one of these boxes from the food bank. What would you need in one of these boxes?
I know some of my readers occasionally use uncommon ingredients such as capers, or extravagant ingredients such as truffles. These are not what I am asking for. I am asking for those items that are staples in your pantry and in your home. I am asking for those items that would be missed if they were no longer available to you. I am asking for a little bit of creativity in your donations.
Please know that whatever you decide to give, your donations will be greatly appreciated by the family who will receive it. So do not be shy. The food drives have started. Give freely, joyfully and creatively. You never know who could be receiving your donation.