Monday, December 17, 2007

Apple Chutney

I have a lot of apples on hand, so to go with some pork chops for supper, I made an apple chutney.

With 4 apples, 1 onion, some freshly grated ginger, a pinch of salt and sugar, a sprinkling of cider vinegar, of wine and of orange juice, I made a lovely chutney.

I had diced the apples in "largeish" chunks, and the onions about the same size. I sweated the onions and ginger in about a teaspoon of canola oil for a few minutes. Then I added the apples and remaining ingredients. The salt helped to draw out some much needed liquid, while the sugar added a touch of sweetness to balance the acidity of the vinegar, wine and orange juice. I cooked this on medium-high heat for just a few minutes, that is until most of the liquid had evaporated.

Once this was completed, I simply added the "chutney" to a pan in which was cooking some pork chops. I finished cooking the chops on medium heat.

Results? Clean plates, empty pan and smiling faces. :D A chef can't ask for more! Ok, maybe for someone to do the dishes! lol

Note: Young kids may not be fond of the apple peel.