Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Food Bank Donations

Throughout the year there are food drives for a variety of food banks across the country and around the world. Obviously for a good cause. You can never imagine why certain people would need to go to a food bank. I'll admit that I have relied on my local food bank for a while. I never thought I would, but events came to be that I required the services of my local food bank.

For those of you who don't know (I hope you are many), here is a list of some of the things that I would find in my food box to feed my four children and myself for a month...


  • Cream of tomato soups (Lots of cream of tomato soups)

  • A few boxes of macaroni and cheese

  • Canned peas/string beans/creamed corn/variety vegetable

  • Canned pineapples

  • Canned meats (ham, tuna, chicken, mystery...)

  • Frozen pizza pockets

  • Frozen donuts/timbits

  • Frozen potato nuggets

  • Maybe some frozen hot dogs

  • A couple of odd things such as fruit ketcup

  • 2 cups of rice

  • Beans (not necessarily in amounts that can feed my family - single serving sizes are not particularly useful for some families)

  • 2 cups of sugar

  • Powdered drinks

  • Jello

  • 1.5 lbs of frozen ground beef

Keep in mind that some families live on the food box that they receive sometimes as often as once a month. If I could prove with a note from the doctor that I needed extra nutrients, I would be allocated one of the few cans of tomato juice or a bit of "real" meat such as chicken or small roast.

Can you imagine looking for something to feed your family and find only these items in your pantry? You have no salt. You have no pepper. You have no seasonings. You have no choice. The children are hungry and this is what you have. So I did my best and I was very grateful.

Now, I don't go get food boxes anymore. I do give though. I give lots of dried herbs and spices. I give salt and pepper. I give chicken bouillion base. I give a variety of things that allow for those who receive to have more than just something from a can.

Next time there is a food drive for your local food bank, keep this in mind and give generously. Give things that you hadn't thought of before, things that you would buy for your own family. Know that when you give, it may well be your neighbour who receives, and that they are grateful.