Friday, June 29, 2007

Fresh Potato Salad

At my local grocery store, I have been able to find tiny new potatoes over the last few weeks, both red and white. They aren't generally in my food budget, but this week I picked up a small package of white potatoes. They were a bit smaller than golf balls. I bought about a pound. I could hardly wait to get home and make the kids one of our favourite potato salads.

I boiled them for about 20 minutes. While they were boiling, I prepared the rest of the salad. I minced a bunch of scallions, I diced about the same amount of celery, I put these ingredients in the bottom of my salad bowl. I added about 1 tblsp of lemon juice, 3 tblsp of canola oil, 1 tsp of Dijon mustard and a couple of shots of hot sauce. I whisked quickly and once the potatoes were cooked, I added them to the sauce. I added salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste. Toss to coat completely.

This salad can be served warm or cold. Either way, it is very yummy and disappears very quickly at a meal! The kids prefer this kind of potato salad to mayonnaise type potato salads.

I hope you and your family enjoy this potato salad as much as my family and I do. :D