In the summer there is one thing that is very nearly always on my dinner table. The kids enjoy it, it offers a lot of variety, it is inexpensive, quick and easy to prepare. I'll admit, I'm not sure if the kids enjoy it because it tastes good, or if it's because Couscous is such a peculiar word. Either way, it's a staple in our summer cooking.
There are purists who do not like the "Minute Couscous". They prefer using a couscousière and fresh stock, and a lot of steam. Yes. I admit it. This does make a superior quality couscous. I've done it and I do it when I really want something extravagant. The "Minute Couscous" though is ready in about 5 minutes vs 30 minutes for the traditional method. For those of us who can't (or don't want to) spend a lot of time in the kitchen though, this is good and quick meal or side dish.
My favourite couscous based meal is couscous chicken salad. A complete meal in and of itself. So easy to make and uses many ingredients on hand or readily available at the store.
Couscous chicken salad
2 cups boiling stock (chicken or vegetable)
2 cups couscous
1 small onion diced finely
1 tomato, seeded and diced finely
2 stalks of celery diced finely
1 small colourful bell pepper, diced finely
1/4 cup vinegrette
1/2 tsp fresh thyme rough chopped
1/2 tsp fresh basil, chiffonade (that means stacking, rolling like a cigar, then cutting the leaves)
1 small roasted chicken, torn apart and rough chopped.
Salt and pepper to taste
Few drops of lemon juice and a bit of lemon zest to give the salad an extra little oumph!
Prepare the vegetables and herbs. Boil the stock, pour the stock into a bowl, then sprinkle the couscous over the stock. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Prepare the chicken. Once the couscous has absorbd all of the stock, fluff with a fork and then add the remaining ingredients except the chicken. Mix thoroughly, taste and adjust the seasonings. Lay the couscous on a platter, then top with the chicken and a bit of fresh lemon juice.
Enjoy! :D