Friday, June 8, 2007

Summer is finally on it's way!

We've had a cool spring. It's been so cool that we still have frost in the morning. It makes it hard to put in our tomatoes and know that they will survive the night! Even with protection... Ah well!

I can hardly wait though... fresh "local" greens are starting to show up at the grocery store though. So fresh salads are on the horizon. What I most look forard to is throwing in some fresh edible flowers into my salad. The lovely pinks of rose petals, the warm yellow petals of pansies, the cool purples of violets and the piquant of nasturtiums... MMMMmmmm!

So as I look forward to planting my tomatoes, here is a simple home vinaigrette:

2 tblsp fresh lemon juice
6 tblsp vegetable oil (Good EVOO, or a nice grapeseed oil -although a canola oil will do)
Zest of 1 well washed lemon
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 pinch salt
1 pinch fresh ground pepper

Put all ingredients in a small jar with a cover. Mix, taste with a bit of salad and adjust seasoning. Dress the salad at the last moment before service.

I like adding onions, garlic and all herbs & spices into the salad itself. That way the extra dressing can be safely be kept in the refrigerator for a week.

Enjoy! ;)