Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snowpacolypse? Time for soup...

With all of the snow we've had lately, it got me thinking.  We've had nearly a week of notice.  We've been able to get ready.  We've known approximately how long the storm was going to last.  Our parents and grand-parents didn't have that.  Is it a wonder that they kept a pot of soup simmering on the stove?

As the snow started falling yesterday, I put a smoked ham in the oven for supper.  Today, as the cold hits and there is a lot of heavy work to be done outside, I've got a a lovely split pea soup simering on the stove.  Not only does it help warm the house, it will be a comforting meal at the end of the day.

In my dutch oven pot, I poured in about 1 inch of water, placed my ham, scored the fat cap lightly, covered it and placed it in a low and slow oven for the afternoon.  By the end, the meat was falling off the bone.   There was an extra 1.5 inch of liquid to boot!  So we had a wonderfully tender ham with potatoes and steamed brocoli for supper last night.  I kept the liquid for the soup today.

This morning, I cooked my yellow split peas in the ham liquid with onions, celery, bell peppers and carrots.  Tonight we eat comfort in a bowl.